I have made this soup for the last 4 or 5 years. The original recipe is from someone on food network, I can't remember exactly who it was. I added the smokey chipotle paprika, garlic and red pepper flakes. Ingredients
What you Need:
- 2 cup shredded or diced baked turkey (white meat or dark meat - anything goes)
- 1 cup finely diced yellow or white onion
- 1.5 cups medium-diced fresh plum tomato
- 1 cup unsalted canned or frozen corn
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained (if you use unsalted beans, no need to rinse)
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1.5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (Optional. I am Jamaican, so, I like everything with a little kick!)
- 1 tablespoon smokey chipotle paprika (If you have smokey paprika that also works.)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (I really hope someone comes up with a sachet of tomato paste. Who ever uses a whole can?)
- 2 quart sodium free or low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 9 cilantro sprigs kosher salt (optional)
- 4 6 inch flour or corn tortillas (optional)
- 2 limes cut in wedges (optional)
- 2 cups vegetable oil (optional)
In a large soup pot, heat two tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until the onion turns a bit translucent (about 4-5 minutes) Add chili powder, smoky paprika and stir for about 15 seconds. And tomato past and red pepper flakes and stir for another 15 seconds. Add the vegetable stock and cilantro sprigs, stir and bring to a boil. Add corn, black beans and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add turkey and season (and Kosher salt to taste, if necessary) Simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Serve with lime wedge and tortilla chips (instructions for chips below)
Place tortillas on a cutting board and slice into 1/4 inch strips. Heat two cups of oil on medium high heat. Add 7-10 strips at a time to the oil. Fry until crispy and lightly golden. Remove chips and place on paper towel to remove excess oil.
Serve chips in the soup.
Until next time...